FAQs - Products
- How can I see a sample of an AsukaBook?
- You can see samples of AsukaBook products at many photography related conventions, seminars, or workshops. We have many sample products available to buy or borrow as well. In addition, we'd be happy to send you printed sample pages, and cover and case material samples.
- Can I purchase an AsukaBook sample?
- We have many pre-designed sample books that you may purchase if you do not have time to prepare your own.
- Can I purchase leather samples?
- Yes, we have created 8x8 mounted leather, animal friendly leather, and other material swatches in all available in all options. To purchase swatches, please contact Customer Care. You may view pricing once you have logged in to your AsukaBook account.
- Can I have a variable number of pages/sides in my book?
- Our page increments are pre-set. Most products offer 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, and 100 sides but some offer other options. Our NeoClassic, Heirloom, and Cosmopolitan albums all have a maximum of 60 sides. Our DVD Presentation Book, USB/Keepsake Presentation Book, Vista Layflat Book, and Curve books provide options starting at 4 sides. The Zen Layflat Hard Cover book line offers sides in even increments between 10 and 100 sides.
- What is the difference between pages and sides?
- An easy way to think of this is if you have a book with 80 sides, there would be 40 physical pages in the book; each side of the page is printed on.
- What page finishes are available?
Many of our books are available with either Laminate Glossy, Laminate Matte or Varnish page finishes. Our Art Book Soft Cover, Art Layflat Book, and Art Folios do not come with a page finish.
- What is the difference between Laminate pages and Varnish pages?
- Our Laminate Glossy and Laminate Matte finishes are covered in a laminate coating that makes the pages feel a bit thicker, with slightly more protection from normal wear and tear than our third option, Varnish. The Laminate Glossy finish has a high gloss appearance and is great for images with a lot of bright colors, as it makes the colors pop. The Laminate Matte finish has a soft and smooth finish in appearance and to the touch. We often suggest the Matte finish for black and white images, or if you have a wedding with a very romantic feel. The Varnish finish is more of a semi-gloss page finish and is sometimes compared to a luster or a satin finish. As mentioned above, the Varnish is a bit thinner than the laminate finishes, but the cost is comparatively less as well. Many photographers prefer our Varnish finish, as it is a happy medium between our Laminate Matte and Glossy choices.
- Do you offer any books with thicker pages?
- We offer quite a few! Our thickest pages are offered in our NeoClassic album and Curve book which come with thick, board-mounted pages. The Heirloom album, Cosmopolitan album, Vista Layflat Book, DVD Presentation Book, and USB/Keepsake Presentation Book come with thin board pages.
- Do you offer any books with thinner pages?
- We offer many products with thinner pages including our Book Bound, Zen Layflat, and Art books.
- Do any books start and end with panoramic spreads?
- Our Heirloom Album, Art Book Soft Cover, Vista Layflat Book, Curve, DVD Presentation Book, and USB/Keepsake Presentation Book all start and end with full spreads, providing the most printing space for your book.
- How does the Art Layflat Collection differ from our other products?
- The Art Layflat Book and Art Layflat Folios are printed on an elegant, uncoated, ivory paper instead of our standard paper. There is no option for matte or glossy finish on the inside pages.
- What are the differences between the Art Layflat Folio series and the Zen Layflat Folio series?
- The difference between the Art Layflat Folios and the Zen Layflat Folios are in the sizes and the paper. The Art Layflat Folio series comes in 9x11.5, 11.5x9, 7.5x6, 6x7.5 whereas the Zen Layflat Folio series comes in 12x12, 10x10, 8x11, 11x8, 8x8, 8.5x5, 5x8.5 and 7x7 sizes. The Art Layflat Folios are printed on an ivory uncoated poster board-type page while the Zen Layflat Folios are printed on our standard paper and coated in matte or glossy.
- What is the cover of the Cosmopolitan Album made of?
- The Cosmopolitan Album cover is traditional lacquer on the cover covered by an acrylic plate.
- How is the paper used on the Art Layflat Book and Folios different than the paper used on all other AsukaBooks?
- The Art paper is an ivory uncoated poster board-type page whereas the rest of our products are printed on a true white page. The pages are not coated with matte, gloss or varnish like our other books. They remain uncoated to show the true beauty of the paper. Please contact Customer Care to request a sample page for your studio.
- How do the Art Book Soft Cover and Art Layflat Book differ?
- The Art Book Soft Cover is printed on uncoated white paper and is bound with a soft cover and traditional binding, while the Art Layflat Book is printed on uncoated ivory paper and bound with a hard cover and layflat binding.
- How much sparkle does the Cosmopolitan Box have?
- The sparkle is more of a shimmer and adds and extra bit of flare to the box.
- Does AsukaBook provide the DVD or USB for the DVD Presentation Book and USB/Keepsake Presentation Book?
- The DVD or USB are not included with any of our products at this time.
- What is the difference between a Hard Cover book and an EX book?
- We have both Book Bound EX and Hard Cover books as well as Zen Layflat EX and Hard Cover books. The EX is a Hard Cover book with "Extras"! An EX book includes a fully printed, matching book jacket for additional protection and aesthetic value. This style also includes a red or black slide in case with optional Hot Stamp Text rather than the frosted plastic case that is offered with a Hard Cover book.
- What is the difference between an EX book and an EXD book?
- The EX book comes with a black or red book case with optional Hot Stamp Text, while the EXD comes with a custom designable book case.
- What is the difference between Leather and Animal Friendly Leather?
- Book Bound LX books have an upscale premium genuine leather cover. The leather is from natural hides with some slight variations in the texture and color adding uniqueness and authenticity of the product. Book Bound FLX books and the faux leather covers of the Zen Layflat Impact have the feel of fine leather in an "Animal Friendly" product. It has a smooth clean and consistent feel and is a great synthetic alternative to genuine leather as well as being offered at a lower price point.
- What is the difference between the Book Bound books and the Zen Layflat books?
- The only difference is binding itself. The Book Bound books are bound with our "perfect binding". These books will lose about a half inch in the center of the book to the gutter; the area where the book is bound. The Zen Layflat books feature our patent pending, invisible binding which allows you to fully display your images without gutter loss.
- How does the Zen Layflat Impact line differ from the other Zen books?
- The Zen Impact line comes with your choice of cover in animal friendly leather or our new material covers. These books are showcased in a designable deluxe presentation box that includes a plush felt lining with book holder and DVD placeholder.
- What is hot stamp text?
Hot stamping is defined as a dry printing process, which uses controlled heat, pressure, and precision timing to transfer a color pigment from foil to surfaces of varied shapes and materials. This process forms a permanent bond between the part and the foil, and creates a dry print. Hot Stamp Text is available on Book Bound and Zen Layflat EX cases as well as on all Leather, Animal Friendly, and other material Zen Layflat covers. It is also available on the Cosmopolitan Album cover, NeoClassic album cover, DVD Presentation Book case, USB/Keepsake Presentation Book case, and the Gallery Box.
- What is laser inscription?
- The laser inscription is a colorless imprint into the suede-like cover of the Heirloom Album. Up to 30 characters, including spaces, can be included in the laser inscription.
- Why is the Hot Stamp only available in Gold or Silver?
- AsukaBook has found Gold and Silver highlight the text best on our products. Both provide a classic, stylish accent to our Book Bound EX and Zen Layflat EX cases, as well as the covers of our Book Bound FLX, Book Bound LX and Zen Layflat Impact covers.
AsukaBook has found gold and silver highlight the text best on our products. Both provide a classic, stylish accent to our Book Bound and Zen Layflat EX cases, all Zen Layflat Impact covers, Cosmopolitan Album cover, NeoClassic album cover, DVD Presentation Book case and USB/Keepsake Presentation Book case.
- Do book cases cost extra?
- No. All books include a book case. If you would like to purchase additional book cases, please contact Customer Care. Pricing for additional book cases may be found on the price list once you are logged in to your AsukaBook account.